Thursday, November 15, 2007

um, yeah.

so, I have been absent. sorry. really, I am sorry.
I am better, I think (hard to tell when it's this crazy!)

we got packed, slept a little, woke the girls up at 4:15am and got on the road.
how was it?
The big girls did awesome. Truly, they are the best travelers ever!
The car was so nice, perfect for traveling.
Weather was absolutely perfect. Just cool enough and not hot at all. My favorite traveling weather.
We even saw the edge of a cold front moving through Kansas - breath taking.

The little girls? Well, why ruin all these positive aspects of the road trip right? Right.
Here's why. Because I need to know that Jake and I are not the only ones who have listen to someone cry for 12 hrs straight. Oh yes, at any given time, one of the babies was crying. They took turns, which was so thoughtful of them.

And, we decided to stop and eat breakfast at 6:45am. We were somewhere around Topeka, KS. At 9:20am we found a place that was open for breakfast. What is up with KS????? Literally. It took us 5 hours to find a place to eat breakfast. We did not step foot out of the car, except to switch drivers (10 sec.) for 5 HOURS. Did I mention that it was 5 hours???????
I'm not bitter.

The place we finally stopped at was amazing. It was all Oklahoma people (they eat breakfast!) and it was so yummy and so friendly.
So, the end. We are here now and besides the double ear infection that Sophie still has and the new found single ear infection that Nora has, we are all just fine.

Heading out tomorrow with JUST JAKE to attend a wedding in LA for a few days - way excited and needing a break. Bad.

5 comments:

Jennifer C said...

Oh, Holly...I feel your pain! We have had trips like that. The only comfort is that at least you are in your car and not in an airplane where everyone else gets to enjoy the screaming too! :) I hope you have a wonderful time at the wedding...a much deserved time of rest.
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Girl,

Your story with the girls crying brought back a couple of road trips we had with Sarah in her early years. She would cry non stop for hours, well she would cry until we got where we were going, which always took longer than expected because we had to stop for our sanity. She would cry even when we stopped and got her out of the car seat! I have flashbacks when our Sophie even whimpers. Glad you made it safe and yeah for Oklahoma, bet you felt like ordering 2 of everything. Have fun with Jake, I know you will.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Oh, if Little Rock is on you way to LA, I would love to take you 2 to lunch or dinner. We have food in Arkansas, it's all deep fried and yummy!

Amanda

Sara said...

Can't say I've endured 12 hours of screaming, but I've gone through less and know what that constant sound does to a person- so I'm very very sorry. Maybe the ear infections had something to do with it... I hope you have a great time without the kids (all parents need that!) and when you see them, that they will be better and the trip home will be QUIET!

I send you a million hugs-

A new purpose said...

When my twins were 3 months old we decided that we were good to go on vacation with my parents..... To CANADA - we drove 8 hours to Wisconsin to meet them - then another 14 up nort..... ya....... not sure what posessed us - but a good time was had by all - we just overlook the screaming..... we had a few driving 'mishaps' on the way home and the first leg of the trip - (supposed to be 14 hrs) took 24 - yes - 24 nonstop hours in the car - with a 2 1/2 yr old and 2 3 month olds - yeah - you are bringing back the memories for me Holly! hang in there! it would not be fun if it was not memorable! - it is the crazy times in our life that shape us and give us character!