Wednesday, July 7, 2010

this is a note to self

I hear about people taking their kids to the movies
Jake and I LOVE a good cinema

So, other people's kids (there's where I should have stopped, right there) do fine in the theatre, Jake and I love the movies so naturally you'd assume, the Panter girls would do great!

um.

time #1 was for Horton Hears A Who, which was just not a good movie and it was horrid keeping everyone in their seats. I think Nora and Sophie were too young and the movie was too boring for the older two. I remember leaving frazzled!

time #2 was for UP, again, not a kid movie and it was dinner time so being there and leaving all included major meltdowns.

time #3 was for Hannah Montana, this time it was a cute movie but I had to ward off the homeless guy getting SUPER close in my personal space, demand that there be at least SOME light in the theatre so we could find our seat and hunt down the manager to try and get someone to get the guy in his 50's (who was alone) out of the theatre where a little girl was also alone waiting on her mommy...in the dark...because of the lights situation (dude, I paid $.50 a person to watch this in a rougher part of town, but $.50!!!! ended up not being worth even that in the end!)
Oh, and we were also having melt down the whole way to the car

time #4 was today. Toy Story. Lydia was crying that she was tired of sitting before it even started....Nora and Sophie were too scared, Samantha had to pee part way through, everyone was curious (relentlessly) why we didn't have popcorn, I got asked by the girls about 20 bagillion times when the movie was going to be over....oh, and don't forget the meltdowns on our way to the car/in the car.

so.
THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!!
I will be taking Samantha to see

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

in Dec, BY HERSELF
(because actually, she has done awesome every single time)
and then we will not be attempting another movie for a very long time!

It was my fault, really.
I got cocky.
Yesterday we went to the pool and I kid you not,
I SAT ON THE SIDE AND READ A BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you get that?
we went to the pool
they played
I read.

(not the whole time....I do love me a good game of diving sticks ;-)
but, I got about two pages read....and I think that should go down as like a miracle or something!)

So, amazing breakthrough yesterday -
back to earth today.

isn't that always how it goes !?



4 comments:

Tisha said...

Yes! That's always how it goes!! Welcome back to earth :) You sat on the side and read a book? Wow, that is amazing! Is your pool shallow?

I'm with you, we avoid the theater too. What a waste of a big wad of cash! Our kids are D O N E by the time the half hour of previews are over and the actual movie begins. Even the bigger kids would rather do something else for fun, unless they are on a one-on-one date with mom or dad, then it might be ok.

Courtney said...

never have done the movies. actually, maybe once. but not excited or even thinking about doing it anytime soon.

i think we should do a double date with bailey and samantha for that movie in december (i don't even know what it is...but i assume if samantha would like it, bailey would like it :-))

LOVE that you read 2 pages! one day...

and, yes, we are always brought back to earth quickly, aren't we?? :-)

Jennifer C said...

The only time I ever set foot in a theater with all four of mine is for one of the FREE movies that they offer in the Summertime at local theaters here. Then if someone freaks out I can leave without feeling guilty about wasting money. :)

Stacy said...

We didn't do movies until last summer (girls 5, Tyler 4) and they were free summer movies...that way I could leave and not be out any money. I think the first paid one we'll do is Toy Story. maybe.