Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Then/Now

Our trip this past weekend was ridiculously easy.
And I wouldn't let myself forget.
My jaw kept dropping.
I kept thinking I was for sure missing something.
It can't be.
Are we in some alternate universe or something?
Why isn't everyone crying at the same time...for hours on end?
Why haven't I had to crawl in the back seat, making myself car sick so I could feed everyone a bottle?
Why aren't there crayon drawings all over the leather seats!? (wait...scratch that...we're still there.)
Why is it we can drive for 3 hours straight and no one needs a poopy diaper change.
Speaking of diapers....how come we didn't bring any?
For that matter, what about the two pack-n-plays, the bottles, the formula, the bibs, the 3 outfits a day worth of clothes for four kids, what about the med's, the booster seats (2 or 3?), the toys to keep four little toddlers busy for 'x' amount of days/'x' amount of hours in the car, the separate bath stuff, the special sleep blankets/animals, oh! and don't forget at least 6 sippy cups.
'cause we always seem to loose a few.
And the several HOURS worth of packing before, during and after?

WHAT IS GOING ON PEOPLE!?
We are leaving on a trip...pull it together!

No.
It went more like this:
Mommy pulls down everyone's special piece of luggage and one special trip bag for toys.
Mommy gives a few guidelines as to what goes in the bags....AND THEN LEAVES THE ROOM.
No. Joke.
I peeked in the bags to make sure my few guidelines 
("4 pairs of panties, Crocs, 1 pair of jeans and 3 outfits for the luggage and the only toys you can bring are what fit into your little trip bags")

had been followed and everyone but Nora stayed on task.
She got to the panties, Crocs and toy bag....the girl has priorities.
oh she makes me laugh (and shake my head a lot).

THEN...then!
Everyone carried their own bags out to the car, loaded them and that was it.
I had to pack my bag and the food.

um....
we were done packing in about 45 min's and most of that was spent on FOOD.

Was this a fluke?
'Cause I could get used to that.

Except for an occasional request for gum (which was denied) I never even 'had' to do anything for them on the car trip....
I did, because I wanted to, because it was fun or because I was telling them "I'm sorry you're in an argument but I'm sure you can figure it out"....but....but....it was actually pleasurable.

Say what!?

yep.
it was.
And we only had to drive 30 min's to get there.

:-)

I'm kidding.
It was about 4 hours.
Four great hours there and back!


THEN:

March 2008
 (the second road trip of their life, the first I have no pictures of....it was bad, I still remember it.  It was November 2007, Nora and Sophie were a few days away from being 1 and we drove for over 12 hours - we made it there, we made it back...that's all I'm gonna say...k?)

NOW:

 May 2011
everyone with me now...."Ahhhhh....."
I love 'em.
Now and even Then.
and I'd pack like 'Then' for eternity if it meant getting to love them
but I'm not gonna lie...'Now' has it's perks!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've never commented on your blog even though I've been reading it for quite awhile (I found you through some chain from Jody, who knows?!). But as a mom who is deep in the middle of the "then" with a 3.5, 2 year old and twin 4-month old kids (the view in the back of my Suburban looks so similar to yours!). I had to say that it gives me hope to believe that there will be a "now" for me someday too! :)

Courtney said...

it IS amazing as it gets easier, isn't it?? good job for recognizing and remembering!