Wednesday, September 7, 2011

LA. bor DAY.

if you invited us to socialize this past weekend,
we said no.
if a cool idea popped up in the surrounding area.
we said no.
if the thought to head of out town reared it's head.
we said NO.

we've had company or been traveling every weekend for months now.
Jake works really long days which means the only time I get him for 'labor' is on the weekends.

It was Labor Day weekend and we needed to LABOR.
school room needed finishing.
den was neglected and it was annoying me.
too much furniture in some areas of our house and not the right pieces in others.
a desk that has been in dire need of refinishing for YEARS.

ALL ON THE LIST.
ALL DONE!
(well, enough anyway ;-)
mostly completed school room....

 still to do: a few more of those magnetic bulletin boards up for 'my' stuff...on another wall and posters that have to do with American History up there in those frames....resources for those anyone?

scenes from this weekends projects:


my new workspace with my newly refinished DESK!!!!!!
(the desks was my dad's and I LOVE it!)


(sorry, dark pictures, it's a dark basement and it's dark and rainy outside today but it's pretty and cozy)

Jake's new work space...





there is now no TV down stairs...it will be mounted on the upstairs living room wall later this week.
($300 mount at Best Buy was $35 on Amazon.com...no joke.)

scored some new end tables at Salvation Army....because the Salvation Army rocks!


I pretty much cleared out Ikea so if you needed something, sorry.
I hit up five thrift stores...and I do love me a thrift store so it was good for my soul!
We sanded and stained and polyurethaned until we were loopy.
We rearranged the furniture down stairs 1,367 times but I think we like it now....for now.
I cleaned like a mad woman on Sunday night because I refused to enter into the first day of school with my house in shambles.....


...I look back and I'm not sure how exactly we got that all done but it's DONE and I love my husband and we are still speaking ;-).
shoot...I still like him too!


(I kid you not:
Two nights in a row the girls came down the stairs to where we were working and said,
"Ok mommy and daddy, we're going to bed now."
um....
We may have ignored them just a tad but I think we bought them off with a weekend full of fast food and they were happy campers.
I didn't feel the least bit guilty.
I knew school was about to start equalling a large amount of attention from us.)

anyway, like I said.
it's DONE!



7 comments:

Erika said...

Well I just got the itch to re-do and re-decorate...and simplify my desk! Miss you all. :)

Tisha said...

Your school room looks like a magazine photo!! Wowzers. Pretty. I so enjoy seeing your decorating pictures! You have the.best.taste. of anyone I know. I love your style.
I laughed that your girls were ready to put themselves to bed. Mama and daddy were in the ZONE! :-)

Liz W. said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!! the school room looks amazing! and you desk rocks. Love the canvas of the girls on it!!

Missy said...

Okay, that is a much better view of your desk! Ha ha! Now I can really see it! And it turned out fantastic! Nicely done. School room rocks. And those end tables were a sweet find. Fits in perfect with your living room. Success!

Anonymous said...

I find it funny that you could take any room in your house and it would fit easily into mine. Our color schemes are almost identical!
Beautiful job!

Hey, what is the name of the website that you used to have the girls photo put on canvas? You posted it a long time ago and I can't remember.

HUGGS!
Ginger~

Courtney said...

i love your style.
and your school room.

Brandi said...

Way to go Holly and Jake. It all looks fantastic. I love love love the school area for the kids. You did great. We put in new windows on our "labor day". fun fun.
miss you honey.
xoxo