Monday, September 26, 2011

so...the food:

Liz and the girls arrived just in time for lunch.

Lunch menu:

kids:
quesadillas and clementines.

like, the microwaved kind of quesadillas ;-)

adults:
Taco Salad

I have been asked for this recipe a couple of times.
I'll do my best, but I don't measure so here it 'might' be:

Holly's Taco Meat

1 lb. hamburger
1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, smooshed up/chopped up, whatever.

brown this all together and then drain.

add:

2-3 tbs chili powder
2 tbs oregano
2 tsp cumin (more if you like this flavor)
2 tsp cinnamon (a must, don't leave out!)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 c water

simmer on med-high heat until liquid reduces to the consistency you like (5-8 min's).

Add:

1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 c of frozen corn.

heat through and serve wherever you need taco meat.

we, most frequently, eat it over a bed of lettuce with shredded cheese, homemade salsa, chipotle ranch and crushed up tortilla chips...but that is not all my our meat combo is restrained to!


Dessert for all:

Pretzel Cookies
(honestly!? they were way yummier in my imagination but I'm not complaining...they were good.
easiest to just use your own choco chip cookie recipe and add p.b. chips and crushed pretzels.  the salt on top was a little overboard for me, I liked them better without)


Snack:
Coffee that Liz brought me as a gift from Portugal ;-).

Dinner:

the big kahuna.

Menu


Grilled Ribeye with Blue Cheese and Balsamic Reduction
Grilled Asparagus
Roasted Cauliflower
Marsala Glazed Mushrooms
Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks


French Silk Pie with whipped cream and chocolate shavings




see what I mean!?
bad picture, I was hungry and just wanted to eat...but it was even prettier than this!

recipes:

The Steak
....Jake's secret recipe ;-)

we salt and peppered them and then he grilled them on a man's grill (meaning, NOT GAS).
sprinkle them with blue cheese towards the end to melt the cheese 
(or, if it's dark outside and you forgot what your wife asked, then just sprinkle it on a hot steak and it will do the job)

The Asparagus

snap all the white ends off, toss in a little bit of olive oil and sea salt
grill in a heated cast iron on a man's grill until they just wilted (not soft, you want them to still crunch just a tiny bit)

I, and now Liz, are officially addicted to this sweet concoction.
I have now had it with a Caprese Salad, dipped bread into it and top off my blue cheese steak with it...can't decide where I like it best!
the second addiction that was created this glorious night.
Liz said she even had a dream about these puppies.
no joke.

not an addiction, not sure I'll repeat these exactly but I'll try variations of them. with all the intense flavors we had going on though, these were perfect for the night! 

these are very bad for you, you should make some today!
they were better right out of the oven, but not bad the day after...fun bread option!


French Silk Pie (click if you dare)
I use Jake's family's recipe for pie crust (have I posted that before?)
and we top it with homemade whip cream:
1 small carton heavy whipping cream
1 tsp homemade vanilla
2 tsp sugar (we don't like our super sweet so this isn't a lot of sugar, you might want more)
whip the crud out of this in a mixer, stop when it's the consistency you want.


I made the salsa, balsamic reduction, cheese sticks, pie crust and prepped the cauliflower and lettuce the day before.
I made the pie filling, taco meat and prepped the other salad ingredients the morning of.
About 40 min's before we wanted to eat we started the mushrooms, cauliflower and somewhere in there the guys put the steaks and asparagus on the table.
I like to make my whip cream right before we serve it...so we did.

(have I posted my salsa recipe before?)

the kids?
hee hee...

they had mac and cheese ;-)
but they were HAPPY to do so!
almost as happy as we were to NOT.

I will be dreaming about this meal for a loooong time.
Liz says I need to laminate it.
I blog, so this is my version of 'laminating' ;-).
So, there Liz. Laminated. Check.

5 comments:

Cooking with Phlip said...

Cauliflower is best served as a flower in the fall in your garden. Not on your plate. I just can't make this work on and it gets filled right along with brussels sprouts forever, category, foods I can live without.... Great replacement? P.O.T.A.T.O. Now if you would like a perfect roasted potato recipe call your dad..... It officially falls under the category family secret.

Nice burn on the steak Jake!!

Courtney said...

wow. sounds so yummy! like, WAY yummy!

i agree on the cookies - they were "Ok" and i didn't even remember the salt on top! i like my plain old choc chip cookies better...

Courtney said...

ps. i totally just PINNED this post! so i would have your taco meat recipe. you're ON pinterest! :-)

Liz W. said...

yum, yum, yum!!! I can still taste those mushrooms dipped in the balsamic w/a hint of blue cheese!! mmmmm, still drooling.
It was the most perfect meal, shared with the most perfect friends!!

Stacy said...

Yes....but did you share your honey?