Sunday, November 4, 2012

weekly cooking week 3

reality pictures of the kitchen while meal prep is in progress:


 bags 'o veggies for tostadas...

 Samantha, caught in the act eating the Pate.

Sophie caught in the act being....something.




This week's menu:

Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese
....this puppy is on week 3.  We will eat this...not sure when, but we will.
(again, I use one box of Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup and one small jar of bruschetta so it all stays nice and cozy in the cabinet until we need it.)

Pot Roast w/ Mashed Potatoes and Berry Cobbler 
(special people over for dinner = special meal!)
I use the Pioneer Woman's directions for roast.

Roasted Veggie Tostadas

Garlic and Thyme Quinoa Patties
serve with Tzatziki Sauce, ketchup and roll up in tortilla's or Romain lettuce

can we talk about Quinoa for a minute?
I've now talked with three people who say they've 'tried' Quinoa and just don't like it.
You are allowed to like what you want but you are NOT allowed to try Quinoa plain, or as a substitute for rice under a piece of meat and say you don't like it.
It is gross like that.  It tastes like dirt that way.

Start with something like these patties, or in a casserole type of dish and THEN say you don't like it (but you won't, you'll love it, trust me!)

ok. I feel better.
no more eating Quinoa plain...ok?

Red Lentil & Mushroom Pate  (this is where we just get weird on you but don't knock it 'til you try it,  it is sooooo good! - we will eat this for dinner! I'll steam some veggies for the side but between this and some naan, we are more than happy! try it!)

(Pampered Chef Recipe)
1 c. dry red lentils (cook according to package directions, drain and cool)
1 oz. dried mushrooms (soak in 1 c. hot water for 8-9 min's - drain, chop)
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 medium onion
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
2/3 c. dry-roasted salted pistachios, divided
1/2 c. jarred roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne (I didn't use this)
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled, divided

naan or crackers to dip

Saute onion and garlic in 1 tbsp oil until tender 3-4 min's.
Add mushrooms and thyme, cook 2 minutes, remove skillet from heat.
Add lentils to onion mixture.
Add lemon juice, 1/2 c. pistachios, peppers, salt and cayenne if wanted.

Use an immersion blender/blender/food processor to blend to a coarse paste.

Add 1/3 c. feta, mix gently.

Top with rest of feta and pistachios.
Serve with naan or crackers.

(picture from the cook book...you know...those things we used before Pinterest?)

Spinach and Artichoke Dip...yes, again...



I'm getting all self-conscience about posting these food things.
I realize that we don't eat the typical food people eat in this stage of life.
I do love to cook, I love to try new stuff, I love to try and go without meat, I love ethnic and so....you get weird food posts.

I'll keep posting this stuff just 'cause it's fun to share my finds but if I catch word that someone feels 'less' because they don't cook like I do, I will personally take to smacking that person upside the head with The Joy of Cooking cook book because WHO CARES!?


Would it make you feel better if you knew my kids ate for lunch?
every. day.

Lydia: Peanut butter and jelly
Samantha: Peanut butter
Lenora: Peanut butter and Nutella (yes, you read that right)
Sophie: Turkey and Cheese

all: cheetos and a side of fresh fruit, whatever we have.
every. day.

so, there, lunch is boring.  just for you.


5 comments:

Erika C. said...

I love Mondays to see what you're making! And adding to my veggie only receipes! Thank you! -E

Beccy said...

Thanks for the quinoa tip. I have a lot of it in my cupboard not getting used. I have been praying for non dairy yummy recipes and think I might have just hit the jackpot (ecookbook for slowcooker freezer meals that are dairy free and chock full of yummy veggies, and even the lentil recipes sound good to me and I HATE lentils!). I love these posts.

Jennie said...

Please don't stop posting these! Trying to go more meat free here. We are having the vegetable curry tonight! Just printed tostadas for later in the week. :)

Mandy said...

love the recipes, girl. thanks for taking the time to put them up here!

Beckysblog said...

The lunch menu helped a lot. I feel better now.

Thank you.

:)